1.28.2014

Comfortable Silence.

      Now, for the longest time I've been one of those people that absolutely hates the phone. In fact, if I could avoid it and make someone else make my calls for me...I did, and I could probably count on one hand the number of friends I've ever had a phone conversation with that lasted more than 2 minutes.
       However, I now have an office job, and answering the phone kind of comes with the territory and as much as I hate to say it, I'm warming up to it. I mean, as much as I don't want to admit it...texting is a huge hassle now, especially with touch-screen phones - I can't possibly be the only one who can't type on one of these things, I swear I spend more time editing my text messages than anything else. Sure, a quick text back and forth is still the preferred method of communication for little things, but I mainly talk to my closest friends and when you're writing out a whole paragraph or eight telling them how your day was - it's time consuming. I've been finding that I've been picking up the phone and calling my friends every night now instead of texting them because really...it saves us all a lot of time, and it's a lot more personal.
        One thing I've noticed now that I spend more time talking on the phone is that people really try their hardest to fill every minute with something...if there is even the inkling of a pause in conversation people have the tendency to want to fill it with whatever they can spew out fast enough. What's wrong with having a pause in conversation? Why is this something people are trying their hardest to avoid?
         I don't know if I'm alone here, but I've always been a fan of silences when you're speaking to or spending time with someone. Not because I don't want to hear what that person has to say, but because I feel like it shows you a lot about your relationship with that person. I personally believe that if you can't enjoy a comfortable silence with someone, then something in your relationship isn't working. Just sitting for a minute, not talking and just enjoying the company of whomever you're with is one of the best feelings. That level of comfort with someone is really intimate and lovely, and you're not going to find that with everyone you meet...it's special, savor it.
         If you're one of those people that tries to avoid silences in conversations, I challenge you to just let them happen. If you're someone who communicates strictly through text, then I challenge you to pick up the phone and call someone; It's a nice gesture and most people will appreciate the surprise now that it's no longer the dominant mode of communication. It's the little things people, they really do make the biggest difference.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment